Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Good Work, Honey

Wound care is not my typical topic but I was tempted to give myself a paper cut just to experiment with the healing properties of honey after I read that topical application fights bacteria in numerous ways. Then I remembered that angry paper cuts really smart.

Unlike a course of antibiotics which can have a terrible systemic impact, Honey can stave off infection without the global climate change in your intestinal tract. The only immediate impact I can see from the use of honey topically is the embarrassment of being strenuously licked by other people's pets. That and, depending on the size of the wound, the joys of becoming a walking fly strip. Of course you could couple that with poor hygiene and I call it a mobile study in exotic entomology.

According to reports, honey's combination of acidic pH, low water content (which dehydrates bacteria), and the hydrogen peroxide secreted by its naturally-occurring enzymes make it effectively immune to resistance.