Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Almond Addendum

It's worth mentioning that nuts don't really roast at 170 degrees. After the last post I assembled said salad and roasted the nuts per the precise directions from whatever Shmo offered the ideal temp. I ended up with slivered almonds that were hot, maybe a little parched but certainly not toasty. If you are equally concerned about rancidity, you can probably roast nuts according to guidelines in an Easy Bake Oven or by holding them in your palm under your reading lamp. In desperate times, place the nuts in a ziploc bag and leave them under your armpit - this should only be done if you use a natural deodorant.

I think it's safe to say that manufacturers roast at much higher temperatures. Between that, and prolonged exposure to light and air, I'm guessing most bulk-bin nuts are shades of rancid. And let's not pretend that small children aren't sticking snotty fingers in there also - I'm just saying.

Until I find a better source, or one of you can provide one, have one last hoorah, invite friends over, serve Planters Cocktail Peanuts - extra salt if you can find it - and wait for the mothership. Or don't and just make my salad.