Friday, February 16, 2007

Dumbbell DDR

There are dark places on the web where men go to chat in giddy tones and interrupt each other excitedly as they compare details about their favorite dumbbell complexes. Really, they start to sound like a bunch of school girls gossiping about, um, dumbbell complexes (what did you think I'd say?). Frankly, I go to these places so you don't have to.

Think about complexes like the Electric Slide with dumbbells - 80s hair and attitude optional (Seriously, I think I just heard a gasp from the P-Menu forum). Complexes are really just choreographed sequences of exercises with dumbbells. So, really, maybe more like the Macarena with dumbbells (as funny as that is, I think villagers are gathering at the town square with torches).
I came up with this particular complex this morning though I may have plucked it from CrossFit Eastside, chewed it up, and spit it out as my own. I've been around this stuff for a long, long time, so my apologies for the Milli Vanilli if I just inadvertently claimed somebody's stuff.


Challenge, Possibly Lip-Synched

3 Dumbbell Deadlifts
2 Squat Cleans
1 Push Press (extra credit for the jerk)

One full sequence equals one rep - interrupted reps don't count, so don't put down the dumbbells in the middle of the sequence. At the end you're welcome to set them down for a quick moment of silent contemplation.

How many reps can you finish in 20 minutes?

Pick a weight that is appropriate to your skill level. For those of you playing at home with lighter dumbbells, your number of reps will reflect the ease of execution (in other words, do more).

For more dumbbell complexes, Coach Mike Rutherford of CrossFit KC has a book called Dumbbell Moves. This is not an actual endorsement only because I haven't had a chance to read his stuff but he's well respected and his book has gotten good reviews from other CrossFitters. If you buy it, let me know what you think.