Sunday, February 25, 2007

Girl Fight

PHOTO ABOVE: Many thanks to Ben Blackstone for submitting to the leg lock. Ben has been a very patient instructor in both Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I'm grateful for all of his work.

When you find yourself down on your hands and knees in a room full of SWAT officers, you’re bound to question some of the decisions you’ve made. When one of those officers is tucked in behind you and draped over your back, those questions in your head are asked more earnestly. For that split second five years ago, I questioned what I was doing in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class. Then I rolled him into a leg lock . . . .

For the rest of this article link to Performance Menu. I had the chance to write a little something for them last week with insights from both Jenika Gordon of CrossFit Westside and Cindy Hales. Many apologies to Cindy, however. I hadn't talked to her in quite awhile and I wasn't aware that she was promoted to Black Belt. If you have a chance, read her bio. She's pretty amazing and I'm excited that she's doing some training at CrossFit Eastside these days.